If you’ve purchased a SolarShield retractable awning for your home, you already know that this unique product can protect your furniture from sun damage, reduce your energy consumption and make being outside a whole lot more comfortable on hot days.
Like other outdoor home upgrades, your SolarShield retractable awning will need some periodic cleaning and maintenance to keep it looking its very best.
Here’s how to take care of your awning so you can keep on enjoying it for many years to come.
- Use a broom to clean any loose debris off the awning. You can also use a broom to clean the underside of the awning.
- Hose off the metal framework and wipe it with a soft cloth at the beginning of outdoor season. If the air in your area is particularly salty, do this a couple more times during the summer.
- Rinse the fabric once a month with cold water, and let it dry completely before retracting.
- Every two to three years, deep clean the awning using a solution of cold water and gentle soap (not detergent).
- Keep shrubbery and vines away from your awning, as they may contain fabric-damaging acids.
- While your SolarShield awning is built to withstand bad weather, it’s still a good idea to retract the awning during heavy rain, high wind or winter storms to prolong its life.
Don’t have a SolarShield retractable awning yet? If you’re in Berks, Lehigh, Northampton or Schuylkill County, contact Keystone Gutter Helmet today at 610-372-4383 for your free, no-obligation consultation and estimate. Don’t hesitate—start enjoying the outdoors with your SolarShield retractable awning this year.